Teen’s post on kidnap turns out to be a tall tale


KOTA KINABALU: A 13-year-old’s account of her attempt to escape a kidnapper gained attention after her post on Facebook went viral and caught the scrutiny of authorities.

The teenager claimed that she had been bundled into a van and gagged during the incident, which took place at Kampung Tanjung Aru Baru here.

It was only during a brief stop by the roadside that she managed to make her escape.

She then turned to Facebook to share her “experience”, which went viral on Thursday.

The police wasted no time in contacting the teenager, only to find out that the story had been concocted.

According to Kota Kinabalu police chief Asst Comm Kasim Muda, the teenager fabricated the abduction to skip recitation class.

ACP Kasim said it was an offence to make a false report. He said this will inconvenience the authorities, as time and energy will be spent on the investigation.

ACP Kasim said the police sent the girl back to her parents and strongly advised her not to repeat the incident.

“The public is advised not to easily share statements or photos online that could give rise to public concern or anxiety,” he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Cops nab man connected to 2025 intimidation case
Police to call several individuals in probe over alleged share ownership by Azam Baki
DAP special congress is part of party's internal process, says Fahmi
Sabah flood: Number of victims increased to 3,768 people at noon
Prioritise welfare of police personnel, says Dr Wan Azizah
Traffic slows on major expressways as at noon
Building tech ecosystem to help Perak SMEs compete
Woman who stabbed mother remanded seven days
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Body of drowned Chinese national found

Others Also Read