US embassy reaffirms that Malaysia is still safe to travel


PETALING JAYA: Malaysia is still safe to travel, affirms the US embassy to Malaysia, negating US academic Bruce Gilley’s claim that it is not.

“There is no change to the US travel advisory, which remains at Level 1, the lowest level out of four,” it said in a statement.

According to the United States Bureau of Consular Affairs, Level 1 is the lowest advisory level for safety and security, between Levels 1 to 4, and 4 being “do not travel”.

At Level 1, travellers are to exercise normal precautions in the country, it said.

Checks by The Star on the US State Department’s website showed that Malaysia has been on Level 1 since its last update on July 24, 2023. Additionally, its country information on Malaysia says that the countries have healthy bilateral ties.

“Economic ties are robust, and there is a long history of people-to-people exchanges. Malaysia has a diverse democracy and is an important partner in US engagement with South-East Asia,” it said.

Earlier this week, US academician Bruce Gilley claimed in a post on X that Malaysia is not safe to travel to.

He said on the social media platform that he had left Malaysia due to safety concerns caused by an “Islamo-fascist mob whipped up by the government there”.

Recently, Universiti Malaya (UM) had invited Gilley to speak, which caused controversy.

Gilley purportedly claimed that Malaysia had pushed for a “second holocaust against the Jewish people” during his talk, and downplayed Malaysia’s ties with the United States.

After the cancellation of all events involving Gilley by Higher Education Minister Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abd Kadir, the academician has since returned to America.

Further sparking outrage, he posted that he will not accept reimbursement for his travels from UM, choosing instead to ask the public to fund his costs via an online platform.

“(Gilley’s) social media post on the safety of travelling in Malaysia is too much. It is irresponsible and can cause anger among all Malaysians,” UM said in a statement.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Villager hears explosion outside house as fire engulfs homes
School reopening in Paitan, Sabah delayed after worst ever flood destroys classrooms
Sarawak fully recovers from floods
Two recycling premises suspected in Sungai Kabul odour pollution
PAS should hold Opposition Leader post, but we have to think about it, says Takiyuddin
Dr Sam has proven his ability to lead PN, says PAS sec-gen
Thunderstorms, heavy rain expected in eight states, KL and Putrajaya until 8pm
Gov't to review flood mitigation projects in frequently affected areas in Sabah
GOF nabs four in two weapons, drugs raids worth RM43,740
PAS’ Dr Sam named new Perikatan chairman, replacing Muhyiddin

Others Also Read