Sarawakians must stand up against hate, say state lawmakers after latest firebombing


KUCHING: Sarawakians must stand up against hate and violence following the latest firebombing of a KK Super Mart outlet here, say Sarawak lawmakers.

Bandar Kuching MP Dr Kelvin Yii said out of all places, such an incident was not expected in Kuching, which is known as the City of Unity as people had learned to live harmoniously regardless of race, religion or background.

"This shows how the unity and harmony we treasure is so fragile and must be protected. We as Sarawakians must stand up against such acts of hate and not let this be normalised in our country," he said in a statement on Tuesday (April 2).

Yii urged everyone to make efforts to de-escalate the situation and to spread understanding and respect.

ALSO READ: Another firebomb incident

"We must stem this before it spreads any further and any quarters that continue to instigate and spread hate must face the full force of the law.

"Let us all move towards unity, not division. This is our opportunity to gain a better understanding of one another regardless of our race, religion or background and ensure nothing like this happens again," he added.

Senator Abun Sui Anyit said he was shocked by the news of the firebomb incident at Jalan Satok here.

"This act goes against the Sarawakian culture of harmony. Moreover, Sarawak has always been known to be peaceful and was recently commended as a model state in terms of unity," he said in a statement.

Abun urged the public to work with the authorities to trace those responsible for the attack.

"I hope Sarawakians will not be involved in incidents like this. We leave it to the authorities to solve this crime," he said.

On Monday (April 1), Kuching police chief Asst Comm Ahsmon Bajah confirmed that a report was lodged on the incident on Sunday (March 31).

He said a store worker reported that a Molotov cocktail thrown at the outlet caused boxes of beverages in front of the store to catch fire.

This was the third such incident nationwide after a KK Super Mart outlet in Kuantan was attacked with a similar device last Saturday (March 30) and a failed attempt to firebomb another outlet in Bidor, Perak, earlier last week.

Related stories:
Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June
Plight of two families in Banting fire draws Anwar's attention

Others Also Read