The scammer who knew too much


IPOH: A 36-year-old businessman in Taiping lost over RM400,000 after falling victim to a scammer who seemed to know his personal and banking information.

Perak police chief Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Yusri Hassan Basri said the businessman lodged a report at about 4.07pm on Saturday, claiming to have lost RM418,200 in the scam.

He said the businessman, who was inside a bank in Taiping at about 10.30am on Feb 27, had received a phone call from one “Insp Hazizi” who accused him of having committed a crime.

“The suspect even sent a ‘warrant of arrest’ with the businessman’s name on it to his WhatsApp.

“He told the businessman that he (the suspect) had checked with Bank Negara and found out that he had a fixed deposit account in a bank.

“The businessman was instructed to convert the fixed deposit into a normal account,” said Comm Mohd Yusri in a statement yesterday.

The businessman, he added, was unaware as to how the suspect knew about his fixed deposit account as he had not told him anything about it.

Comm Mohd Yusri said the suspect then told the businessman that if he wanted to escape from any legal action, he must make payments as instructed.

“The businessman, who at that point of time was already scared and panicking, conducted seven transactions to six different bank accounts amounting to RM418,200 between Feb 27 and March 26.

“When he finally realised that the suspect was impersonating a police officer, he lodged a police report,” he added.

The case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating.

Comm Mohd Yusri urged the public not to be easily fooled by calls from unknown numbers.

For more information, contact the National Scam Response Centre on 997.

On another matter, Comm Mohd Yusri said police were looking for three men over a viral video showing a person handing out business cards for illegal moneylending and online gambling at a Ramadan bazaar here.

He said the men had been distributing the cards for the past three days, adding that one of the traders recorded the video.

“We have recorded a statement from the trader.”

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Scam , Taiping , Ramadan Bazaar , Moneylending

Next In Nation

Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
70-year-old woman swindled out of jewellery in 'pukau' scam
TB outbreak: Mask up at crowded places like Ramadan bazaars, public urged

Others Also Read