Geologist fined RM32,000 for smuggling gold from Tawau mine to Pahang


KOTA KINABALU: A geologist was fined RM32,000 after pleading guilty to four counts of illegally transporting gold concentrate residues for sale to a goldsmith in Raub, Pahang.

Edwin James, 36, entered the plea after charges framed under Regulation 6 (1) (c) of the Mineral Development (Licensing) Regulations 2016 were read to him before Magistrate Lovely Natasha Charles here on Thursday (March 28).

The offences were committed at the Inanam Express Bus Station here between 2020 and 2022.

The gold was from Sabah's controversial gold mine in Tawau that had been rocked by multiple investigations.

James, who was attached to a government-linked company in Sabah, was ordered to pay a fine of RM8,000 in default 18 months' jail for each charge.

Under Regulation 6(5) of the legislation, he faced a maximum fine of RM50,000 or a jail term of up to three years, or both, upon conviction.

He paid the fine.

DPP Muhammad Al-Hakim Abdul Razak informed the court that James had received at least RM800,000 from the illegal dealing and called for a deterrent punishment to serve as a lesson to the accused and others.

During mitigation, James' defence counsel Chin Teck Ming pleaded for leniency as this was his client's first offence.

Furthermore, he said, James was the sole breadwinner of the family and the father of two young children.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

GOF nabs four in two weapons, drugs raids worth RM43,740
PAS’ Dr Sam named new Perikatan chairman, replacing Muhyiddin
PAS info chief questions timing of Terengganu exco man's arrest
Bersatu veep Kiandee dropped from PN supreme council
Don't miss out on tourism-related grants, Butterworth community told
Traffic slows on major highways heading to KL after CNY, early Ramadan break
Body of teenage boy feared drowned in Sungai Tengah found
Man claiming to be a prophet arrested in Rawang
Ministry sec-gen among several witnesses to be called in probe over RM1.1bil agreement
STPM candidates evacuated from flood-hit villages in Paitan

Others Also Read