Freeze on foreign workers hiring quota stays for now, says HR Minister


KUALA LUMPUR: The current freeze on foreign workers' hiring quota will be maintained as the number of migrant workers has almost hit the 12th Malaysia Plan (12MP) target, says Human Resources Minister Steven Sim.

“The government has decided that the foreign worker quota cannot exceed 15% of the total workforce by 2025,” he said during Minister’s Question Time in the Dewan Rakyat on Tuesday (March 26).

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Socso: Gig workers' social security protection activated after registration, first task
Four teenagers attack e-hailing driver in Melaka over fare
Sun bear sparks fear in Jertih village after livestock attacks
Woman dies in Sandakan house fire
Dead elephant discovered in Sabah forest reserve with head hacked off
Court to deliver verdict in former Sabah water dept director graft case today
Malaysia launches AP-UAP at World Urban Forum
Retired policeman found dead in Melaka home
Pipe burst in Butterworth disrupts water supply in Penang
722,151 travellers use Penang airport’s new autogate system since end of December last year

Others Also Read