Employer blacklisted for mistreating 93 Bangladeshi workers


PETALING JAYA: The employers who left 93 Bangladeshis stranded in Cheras without jobs and living in poor conditions has been blacklisted from employing any more foreign workers.

In a joint statement, Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution and Human Resources Minister Steven Sim said the action was among the several stern actions the government has taken against the employer.

They said both ministries had launched an investigation after the case came to light on Feb 22.

According to records, the ministries revealed Syarikat Pembinaan Ricoler Sdn Bhd brought in the foreign workers in November 2023.

“Following an operation and investigation into the case, both ministries have taken decisive actions, including freezing the remaining quota and will investigate Section 12 of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants (Atipsom) Act 2007 [Act 670].

“The ministries will also take action as per the Passport Act 1966 [Act 150] because the employer is believed to have the workers’ passport and the Employment Act 1955 [Act 265] for failure to pay wages.

“The employers will also be facing action under the Minimum Standards of Housing, Accommodation and Employee Facilities Act 1990 [Act 446] for failure to provide accommodation facilities,” they said on Monday (Feb 26).

They added that the employer also failed to care for the welfare of the stranded workers in terms of their accommodation and food.

They also said all the rescued victims were taken to the Immigration Department in Putrajaya for documentation before being brought before the Magistrate to obtain an Interim Protection Order.

Both ministries warned all employers who employ foreign workers to ensure their welfare and comply with the laws.

During the operation, the Home Ministry via the Putrajaya Immigration Department was joined by officers from the National Strategic Office of the Council for Anti-Trafficking in Persons (NSO Mapo).

It was reported that almost 100 Bangladeshi workers have been without jobs since November last year after arriving in Malaysia.

The workers are said to have paid recruitment fees of RM19,500 to RM21,700 to secure jobs in Malaysia with good living facilities and high salaries.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

DPM Fadillah pays last respects to Joseph Kurup
Down Syndrome man splashed with hot water by woman in Bayan Lepas
Anwar hands over donation to family of child due for surgery in China
KKB by-election: MCA won’t campaign if BN candidate not fielded
Rockfall tragedy: Only Qing Xin Ling village closed so far, says Ipoh mayor
Mount Ruang eruption: MetMalaysia conducts simulations to identify potential tsunami threat
Cost of living an important factor in new civil servants' pay structure, says PM
Federal Court to deliver verdict on May 3 on woman's appeal over Muslim status
Families of croc attack victims can apply for social welfare assistance, says Nancy
Anwar says Najib's 'house arrest order' solely a Pardons Board issue

Others Also Read