Couple hurt in gas cylinder explosion

In ruins: The apartment unit badly damaged after the early morning explosion.

KOTA KINABALU: A couple’s sahur plans were left in tatters after the gas cylinder in their home exploded.

The pair was cooking at their apartment unit on the fourth floor of the Semarak People’s Housing Project in Sabah’s east coast Tawau district when the incident occurred after 3am yesterday.

Hernawati Juda, 40, sustained burns to her body, arms and face.

Her husband Mesran Lamalee suffered burns to his legs.

A Fire and Rescue Department spokesman said a team was sent to the scene after they were alerted of the incident at 3.36am.

The explosion had caused substantial damage to the unit, he added.

The residents put out the blaze using fire extinguishers prior to their arrival, the spokesman told reporters.

“The victims were sent to the Tawau hospital for further treatment in the Emergency Medical Response Service vehicle and an ambulance,” he said.

The operation ended at 4.10am after the fire team found no further risks at the location, he added.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

KJ sues Jamal for RM1mil over alleged defamation
Peter Anthony: Others will continue my struggle even if I'm jailed
Senior schemer: Woman, 60, nabbed over alleged investment scam
Customs plans to use eseal to curb smuggling, says Ahmad Maslan
Man found electrocuted at old factory in Bidor
TNB wins appeal to set aside RM4mil damages over electricity supply disruption
Education Ministry denies issuing circular on Anwar's biopic
State elections: Seat negotiations held up as PAS, Bersatu want several same seats in Selangor
Jana Wibawa: Adam Radlan’s graft cases transferred to two KL Sessions Courts
Perlis Regent launches Suka, a product line to support rehab efforts

Others Also Read