Husband and wife hurt as gas cylinder explodes in Tawau home

KOTA KINABALU: A married couple’s sahur (pre-dawn meal) plans were left in tatters after the gas cylinder exploded in their home in Sabah’s east coast Tawau district on Tuesday (March 28).

They were cooking in the fourth-floor unit of the Semarak People’s Housing Project when the incident occurred sometime after 3am.

Hernawati Juda, 40, sustained burns to her body, arms and face while her husband Mesran Lamalee suffered burns to his legs.

A Fire and Rescue Department spokesman said they were alerted to the incident at 3.36am, and a team rushed to the location.

The spokesman said the explosion caused substantial damage to the unit.

Neighbours helped to put out the blaze using fire extinguishers before the team’s arrival, he added.

“The victims were sent to Hospital Tawau in an emergency medical response service vehicle and an ambulance for treatment,” the spokesman said, adding that the operation ended at 4.10am after the team assessed the scene and determined there were no further risks.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Around 4,000 people expected to visit myStarjob Fair and Star Education Fair 2023
Khairy: I will meet Muhyiddin next week to discuss joining Bersatu
Terrace house razed, two others damaged in Klang morning fire
Engagement session with Islamic scholars, teachers held, says Home Ministry
Ipoh-Nanning friendship city ties yield positive impact, says exco member
No element of fraud in ownership of reserve issue in Kamunting, says Bukit Aman
Student aces SPM with 11As while being caregiver for bedridden mother
Teen killed, two injured in freak storm in Penang
Meet the young Malaysian who’s built up a profitable empire on YouTube
Stressed-out KL man rescued after six days in Perak forest

Others Also Read