KUALA LUMPUR: The answer to the question if there will be a contest for the top two posts in Umno will be known on Saturday (Jan 14) at the end of the general assembly, said its information chief Datuk Isham Jalil.
He said for now, no one had officially announced their candidacy for either the president or deputy president posts.
"I believe those who want to contest would want to wait and see what the general assembly's decision is on the matter, which we will know tomorrow (Saturday)," he told a press conference on Friday (Jan 13).
Earlier in his presidential address, Umno president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi had said that he would leave it to delegates to determine if there should be a contest for the two posts.
There were differing views on the matter at meetings for Umno three wings on Thursday (Jan 12).
Some said it should be status quo for the two positions to maintain harmony within Umno while others say there should be a contest to reflect democracy.
On Thursday, Isham urged those who wanted to contest the two posts to announce their intention as soon as possible.