Sarawak cops cracking down on World Cup betting, 22 arrests so far


SIBU: Some 22 people, including six women, have been detained in a state-wide crackdown on illegal betting on Qatar World Cup matches.

The suspects were nabbed in 20 raids carried out under Ops Soga XI from Nov 19 to Dec 3.

"Ops Soga IX was launched simultaneously in all districts in the state with 20 raids carried out.

The suspects, 19 locals and three foreigners aged from 18 to 53 years were arrested," said Sarawak Commissioner of police Datuk Mohd Azman Ahmad Sapri at a press conference on Sunday (Dec 4).

He said there were four raids conducted by state police headquarters, Bintulu (five), Kuching (three), Padawan (three), Miri (two) as well as one each in Sibu, Sarikei and Kota Samarahan.

He said 20 investigation papers have been opened and investigated under the Open Gambling Act 1953.

"Out of the 20 investigation papers, two investigation papers have been referred to the Deputy Public Prosecutor while the rest are still under investigation.

"All those arrested have been remanded," he said.

Comm Azman said that during the raid, police also confiscated cash amounting to RM3,983, various digital devices like computers and smartphones as well as betting slips.

He said that the cases were being investigated under Section 6(3) of the Betting Act 1953, Section 6(1) of the Betting Act 1953, Section 4(1)(d) of the Betting Act 1953 and Section 4(1) of the Open Gambling Act 1953.

"Those with information about gambling activities can channel it to the Op Soga IX WhatsApp hotline at 013-525 3052," he said.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

More eateries considering Menu Rahmah – with caveats
Funding sought for more motorcycle lanes at Causeway
2,200 enforcers keeping a close eye to weed out profiteering
Seamless integration to take off next
Enough to go around for Ramadan
Bad weather for parts of Pahang
Subang set to soar again
MACC arrests Batu Pahat school staff member over RM100,000 false claims
Floods in Batu Pahat receding
King and Queen express condolences over Turkiye quake

Others Also Read