KUALA LUMPUR: The case of the alleged harassment and assault of a news portal reporter by a security guard has been reclassified after it was initially termed “refer to magistrate”.
Kuala Lumpur CID chief Senior Asst Comm Habibi Majinji said the case would be investigated under Section 160 of the Penal Code for committing an affray.
Earlier, the case was classified as “refer to magistrate”.
“However, after reviewing the facts of the case, I instructed for it to be reclassified under Section 160 of the Penal Code as there are elements that warrant it,” he said when contacted.
All those involved in the case and witnesses will be called up again for their statements to be recorded.
“We will investigate the matter thoroughly as both sides have lodged police reports,” SAC Habibi said.
Earlier, Dang Wangi OCPD Asst Comm Noor Dellhan Yahaya had said the police would not pursue the matter as “there is no criminal element discovered”.
“The aggrieved party can take the matter to the magistrate if they wish to pursue a civil suit,” he said.
Last Saturday, news portal The Vibes tweeted that two of its reporters had been harassed by a security guard at the Pudu UTC here when they were covering a story regarding the long lines for passport renewals.
In the video shown, a guard can be seen telling both reporters to leave immediately and to stop filming, before shouting in anger.
The video ends after the guard is seen snatching the phone of one of the reporters.
Meanwhile, Gerakan Media Merdeka (Geramm) has called for legislation to protect media practitioners.
The media watchdog said the incident highlighted the need for a law to ensure the safety of media practitioners when performing their duties.