Decision on calling Ahmad Zahid to enter defence over Yayasan Akalbudi funds tomorrow (Jan 24)


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 23 Jan 2022

KUALA LUMPUR: The decision on whether Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (pic) will be acquitted or ordered to enter his defence on 47 criminal breach of trust (CBT), corruption and money laundering charges involving Yayasan Akalbudi (YAB) funds, will be known tomorrow (Jan 24).

High Court Judge Datuk Collin Lawrence Sequerah is scheduled to deliver his decision at the end of the prosecution’s case at 9.30am.

If the court decides in favour of the prosecution that there is a prima facie case against Ahmad Zahid, 68, then he will be called to enter his defence, but if the judge decides otherwise, Ahmad Zahid will be acquitted and discharged.

On Dec 6 Justice Sequerah set the date after hearing submissions by Deputy Public Prosecutor Datuk Raja Rozela Raja Toran and counsels Hisyam Teh Poh Teik and Hamidi Mohd Noh who are representing the former deputy prime minister.

The hearing for submissions lasted 24 days since Sept 6, last year.

On March 19, 2021, the prosecution closed its case after calling 99 witnesses including Ahmad Zahid's former special officer Datuk Seri Wan Ahmad Wan Omar; legal firm Lewis & Co partner B. Muralidharan, money changer Omar Ali Abdullah and Ahmad Zahid's former executive secretary Major Mazlina Mazlan @ Ramly. The trial began on Nov 18, 2019.

Ahmad Zahid had pleaded not guilty to 12 CBT charges, eight counts of bribery and 27 for money laundering involving tens of millions of ringgit belonging to Yayasan Akalbudi.

For the CBT charges, Ahmad Zahid was alleged to have used the funds to make six payments for his personal credit cards usage, insurance policy and licence for his personal vehicles, remittances to a law firm and contributions to the Royal Malaysia Police Football Association.

The offences were allegedly committed at Affin Bank Berhad branch in Jalan Bunus off Jalan Masjid India, here, between Jan 13, 2014, and Dec 23, 2016. The charges, under Section 409 of the Penal Code, provide for a jail term of between two and 20 years, and with whipping, and fine, upon conviction.

Ahmad Zahid was also charged with eight counts of bribery, where he was alleged to have accepted bribes from three companies, namely Mastoro Kenny IT Consultant & Services, Data Sonic Group Bhd and Profound Radiance Sdn Bhd as an inducement for him, in his capacity as Home Minister then, to help the companies to obtain MyEG projects, supply passport chips and to be appointed the operator of the migrant visa one-stop centres in Pakistan and Nepal, respectively.

He was charged with committing the offences, framed under Section 16(a)(B) of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Act 2009, at the Maybank branch at Dataran Maybank in Jalan Maarof, Bangsar,here, between July 15, 2016, and March 15, 2018.

The Bagan Datuk MP also faced 27 charges of money-laundering by engaging in direct transactions involving income from illegal activities between March 29, 2016, and April 11, 2018.

All the offences were allegedly committed at Malayan Banking Berhad, Dataran Maybank branch, Level 1, Tower A, No. 1 Jalan Maarof, Bangsar and Marhaba Enterprise Sdn Bhd, LG 1.15, Fahrenheit88, 179 Jalan Bukit Bintang, here, between March 29, 2016 and April 11, 2018.

Ahmad Zahid also faced 40 charges at the Shah Alam Sessions Court of having accepted bribes from a company over the overseas visa system, which brought the total charges against him to 87. The case is fixed for continuing hearing on Feb 3.- Bernama

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Azmin has a tendency to ‘micromanage’, says Amirudin
Muhyiddin should assist MACC to locate son-in-law, says Fahmi
Explain why Kelantan can’t resolve water woes, Anwar asks PAS, Perikatan
Company owners to be charged with fraud in Tawau
Vincent Tan, Berjaya Land file RM200mil suit against Sanusi
Kudat MMEA detains two Filipinos for ferrying controlled items without permit
State polls: Talk about bringing down Federal Govt will not aid economic recovery, says Nik Nazmi
State polls: Don't miss out opportunities for a better life, Zahid tells Kelantan folk
Sanusi sues Saifuddin over REE theft allegations
Ipoh cops on the hunt for car thieves

Others Also Read