Rural Development Ministry allocates RM4mil in immediate aid to flood victims


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 19 Dec 2021

PADANG TERAP: The Rural Development Ministry (KPLB) has allocated RM4mil in immediate assistance in the form of food baskets to flood victims in several states.

Its Minister Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid (pic) said eight agencies were involved, including Majlis Amanah Rakyat (Mara), Rubber Industry Smallholders Development Authority (Risda), Kedah State Development Corporation (Keda) and Federal Land Consolidation and Rehabilitation Authority (Felda).

Each agency will contribute RM500,000 towards the fund.

"I have discussed with secretary-general Datuk Ramlan Harun and head of agencies to take immediate action to distribute the food baskets to flood victims in the affected areas.

"This food basket assistance is a ministry initiative on top of existing food assistance by agencies under other ministries," he said at a press conference after officiating an event by the Padang Terap Wanita Umno in Naka near here.

More than 21,000 flood victims in the Klang Valley, Pahang, Kelantan, Terengganu, Negeri Sembilan and Perak had been relocated to relief centres (PPS) as of this afternoon.

Mahdzir also said volunteers from the Community Development Department (Kemas) would be mobilised immediately to assist flood victims.

"However, the volunteers involved are from the states affected by floods and not those from states unaffected by floods," he said.

"We have not received information on how many residents in the rural area are affected by the floods but we are prepared.

"What is important is to repair damaged bridges or homes after the floods recede," he added. - Bernama

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Azmin has a tendency to ‘micromanage’, says Amirudin
Muhyiddin should assist MACC to locate son-in-law, says Fahmi
Explain why Kelantan can’t resolve water woes, Anwar asks PAS, Perikatan
Company owners to be charged with fraud in Tawau
Vincent Tan, Berjaya Land file RM200mil suit against Sanusi
Kudat MMEA detains two Filipinos for ferrying controlled items without permit
State polls: Talk about bringing down Federal Govt will not aid economic recovery, says Nik Nazmi
State polls: Don't miss out opportunities for a better life, Zahid tells Kelantan folk
Sanusi sues Saifuddin over REE theft allegations
Ipoh cops on the hunt for car thieves

Others Also Read