Najib wants Dec 8 SRC appeal decision date postponed


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 24 Nov 2021

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak applied to the Court of Appeal on Tuesday (Nov 23) to vacate the Dec 8 decision date on his appeal against the conviction and sentence for misappropriating RM42mil in SRC International Sdn Bhd funds.

According to a document from Messrs Shafee & Co, who represent Najib, that was sent to the Registrar of the Court of Appeal, the application was due to the fact that Najib would be in Singapore until Dec 5.

"The applicant (Najib) humbly wishes to apply for the date to be vacated and the date for the decision fixed the following week, namely from Dec 13 to Dec 17, or any other dates the court thinks suitable,” it said.

According to the document, upon his return from Singapore on Dec 5, Najib would be required to undergo self-quarantine for seven days until Dec 12 and could only attend court or public gatherings from Dec 13.

The document also stated that the prosecution team had been informed of the matter and had not raised any objections for the rescheduling.

The document also stated that the trial for the money-laundering case involving Najib’s lawyer, Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, at the High Court was also set to resume on Dec 8, and Najib also has the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) fund trial at the High Court.

According to the document, the murder trial involving Samirah Muzzaffar, who is represented by Muhammad Shafee, will resume at the Shah Alam High Court from Dec 20 to 23.

The Office of the Chief Registrar of the Federal Court had, in a statement Tuesday, said the decision on Najib’s appeal against his conviction and sentence for the misappropriation of SRC International funds had been set for Dec 8.

Najib, 68, filed an appeal against the Kuala Lumpur High Court’s decision on July 28 last year in sentencing him to 12 years’ jail and a fine of RM210mil after finding him guilty of seven charges involving criminal breach of trust (CBT), money laundering and abuse of position, involving SRC International funds totalling RM42bil. - Bernama

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Azmin has a tendency to ‘micromanage’, says Amirudin
Muhyiddin should assist MACC to locate son-in-law, says Fahmi
Explain why Kelantan can’t resolve water woes, Anwar asks PAS, Perikatan
Company owners to be charged with fraud in Tawau
Vincent Tan, Berjaya Land file RM200mil suit against Sanusi
Kudat MMEA detains two Filipinos for ferrying controlled items without permit
State polls: Talk about bringing down Federal Govt will not aid economic recovery, says Nik Nazmi
State polls: Don't miss out opportunities for a better life, Zahid tells Kelantan folk
Sanusi sues Saifuddin over REE theft allegations
Ipoh cops on the hunt for car thieves

Others Also Read