Ismail Sabri: Two areas in Terengganu placed under EMCO


PUTRAJAYA: Two localities in Terengganu have been placed under an enhanced movement control order beginning today after 197 Covid-19 cases were detected there, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (pic).

The localities are the detention transit centre at Marang Prison and the Dungun correctional centre as well as its staff quarters.

Ismail Sabri said health authorities detected 98 positive cases at Marang Prison where they have so far tested 1,262 individuals in the area.

“Health authorities noted that positive cases only involved detainees who were placed at the detention transit centre, ” he said in a statement yesterday.

“With the advice of the Health Minister, the government agreed to impose an enhanced MCO involving the block that houses prison officers training centre, Zone 2 and Zone 3 of Marang Prison from Jan 28 to Feb 10, ” he added.

Ismail Sabri said that at the Dungun correctional centre, 1,102 individuals were screened as of Tuesday where 99 of them – 92 detainees, two members of the staff and five close contacts – tested positive.

He said the centre and its staff quarters would also be placed under the enhanced MCO until Feb 10 and the standard operating procedure (SOP) would be imposed, including no movement in or out of the localities.

On enforcement activities, Ismail Sabri said police reported that 506 individuals were nabbed for SOP violations, of which 112 were for not wearing face masks while in crowded public areas.

Other offences included premises operating beyond permitted hours (84), interstate and district travel without permission (77) and failure to record customer details (66).

He said that of the 506 nabbed, 472 were issued with compounds while 33 others were remanded.

Ismail Sabri also said 7,541 foreign workers were tested on Tuesday and 153 were found to be positive.

Cumulatively since Dec 1 last year, Covid-19 screenings were carried out on 225,950 foreign workers and 4,386 have tested positive.

Ismail Sabri added that 959 individuals had arrived at the country’s international entry points on Tuesday and that all had been sent to various quarantine stations nationwide.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

EMCO ,

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

80% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

No more 'wayang kulit', Umno must decide to quit Perikatan govt immediately, says Ku Li
INTERACTIVE: Why Covid-19 vaccine queue-jumpers are a threat, and what can be done
Bersatu: We have decided
‘Pandemic or not, we are on track’ are completely on track, says Works Minister
‘Vaccine is safe for all ages’
MySejahtera app now tracks your registration progress
80,000-plus have got their Covid-19 jabs already
Moviegoers from same household can sit in pairs
Only take vaccines provided by the govt, says DG
Experts: No harm drinking cold water in hot weather

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers