IPOH: M. Sugu (pic), one half of the popular “Sugu Pavithra” Youtube cooking channel, has been given a three-year good behaviour bond after he was convicted for carrying a sickle at Hospital Raja Permaisuri Bainun.
Sessions Court judge Norashima Khalid made the order yesterday which comes with a RM8,000 penalty in one surety condition should the bond be broken.
Lawyer Mohamad Hafiz Jalaludin, who represented the 29-year-old Sugu, thanked the court for the decision.
“We are relieved that the court has agreed to sentence our client with such an order. We believe Sugu’s wife will pay for the bond, ” he said when met outside the courtroom.
“In addition to the bond, Sugu will also have to pay an additional RM3,000 to bear the cost of the investigation into the case, ” he added.
Sugu was alleged to have assaulted S. Pavithra, 28, with a mobile phone and a sickle at the hospital’s parking lot on July 21 last year.
He was subsequently charged with assault and carrying the sickle.
He had earlier been given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal by a Sessions Court here over the assault charge.
Yesterday, Sugu’s other lawyer Muhammad Shahrul Nizam Mohd Radi pleaded to the court for a
“Sugu has never been involved in any criminal cases or gangsterism.
“He was also one of the candidates to be named as Ipoh City Icon and is currently taking care of his two small sons, ” he said.Deputy public prosecutor Liyana Zawani Mohd Radzi prosecuted.