Police to call back two firemen nearest to Adib during Seafield temple riot for more questioning, says IGP

  • Nation
  • Friday, 10 Jul 2020

KUALA LUMPUR: Police will call back two colleagues of fallen firefighter Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim who were with him when he was critically injured for additional statements.

“Following the results of the inquest last year, police have recalled all the witnesses that had given their statements during the proceedings. In addition, 52 new witnesses have been called as well and their statements recorded.

“Action has been taken to call back two firemen that were closest to Adib during the incident. This is the latest of our action. Both have consistently said that they did not see anyone attack Adib. So no statements can be linked to Adib being murdered.

“God-willing, I will endeavour to solve this case once and for all, ” said Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador during a press conference at Bukit Aman on Friday (July 10).

He also said that the medical officer that treated the late firefighter confirmed that he was unable to communicate during his treatment at the National Heart Institute (IJN).

The IGP was responding to claims that Adib supposedly made a “dying declaration” and such.

Hamid also said that if Adib had been attacked, there would have been evidence of such, including injuries.

“If he was dragged, beaten and such there must have been injuries at his neck, arm or body, in addition to the broken ribs. What becomes a problem now is that the firemen that were with him have said that they do not know.

“This is why I am forced to call them back and ask from a different angle. This is with the hope that they could remember. This is what I hope, ” he said.

The IGP also questioned how the death of Adib was supposedly linked to him being dragged and beaten came to be.

“Those that were there we have already identified and questioned. Especially the aforementioned firemen.

“I don’t want it to seem that police are rushing to close this case so it will be forgotten. I want to find the truth but there are many constraints that exist here with the absence of reliable witnesses that are willing to come forward.

Adib, 24, became critically injured after he and his team members from the Subang Jaya fire station responded to an emergency call at the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman Temple where a riot was taking place.

The fireman was taken to SJMC after he was found injured, before being transferred to the National Heart Institute (IJN) for further treatment, where he later died on Dec 17,2018, at 9.41pm.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


67% readers found this article insightful

Across the site