PUTRAJAYA: The report by the Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) on the discovery of transit camps and mass graves in Wang Kelian will be presented to the Cabinet next week, says Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
“After going through the report, and if the Cabinet agrees, then we can allow for it to be made public, ” he said to reporters after attending the ministry’s monthly assembly on Thursday (Jan 16).
The RCI presented the report to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah last year.
The report and recommendations were made based on findings of the 17-day inquiry involving 48 witnesses.
In May 2015, police discovered 139 graves and 106 bodies believed to be Rohingya, as well as 29 illegal immigrant camps, deep in the jungles of Bukit Genting Perah and Bukit Wang Burma in Perlis, a few hundred meters from the Malaysia-Thai border.
On another matter, Muhyiddin said that the special taskforce to look into the alleged enforced disappearance of Pastor Raymond Koh and Amri Che Mat had asked for “a little bit more time” before handing over its report to the ministry.
“I was informed that they need slightly a bit more time, I think (they asked for) a month which we agreed to it.
“I hope that after that, the draft report will be handed over to us, ” he said.
In June last year, Muhyiddin announced the setting-up of the special task force and its six-member team, led by former High Court judge Datuk Abd Rahim Uda.
In April, Suhakam made a verdict that Bukit Aman’s Special Branch was likely behind the disappearances of Koh and Amri.
Amri, who is the co-founder of the NGO Perlis Hope, went missing on Nov 24,2016, after leaving his home in Kangar.
Pastor Koh was abducted by a group of men in Petaling Jaya on Feb 13,2017, while on his way to a friend’s house.
What do you think of this article?