Gobind mulls calls to ban online sale of e-cigs, vape


KUALA LUMPUR: The Communications and Multimedia Ministry is looking into calls to ban the online promotion and sale of e-cigarettes and vape, says minister Gobind Singh Deo.

He said the matter would be discussed with the Health Ministry and Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

“For example, illegal gaming is something people have asked us to ban but there are many companies or sites like that and if action is taken, new sites pop up so there are problems dealing with it.

“We will discuss the matter to see what we can do,” he said.

On Sept 23, Federation of Malaysian Consumers Association’s (Fomca) Tobacco Control Initiative@Smoke Free Malaysia coordinator Muhammad Sha’ani Abdullah wrote to the minister, calling for an online ban based on the “precautionary principle”.

Sha’ani urged the ministry to direct all social media platform owners to stop promoting, advertising and selling e-cigarettes and vape immediately.

Citing media reports of the harmful effects of vape and e-cigarettes experienced by users in the US and Canada, he said eight had died and over 500 suffered serious health problems.

StarEdu reported that kids got their supply online easily as anyone who wants to sell something can just post it on Instagram or Facebook and whoever is interested, can direct message the seller.

In June, Deputy Health Minister Dr Lee Boon Chye said there were still many online promotions on vape products and e-cigarettes, targeting students, although various efforts had been made to shut down such websites.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

King calls on Malaysians to help the needy, victims of disasters
Parliament to decide on Batu Puteh issue, says Anwar
Over 13,000 positions on offer at Socso job fair
Asst medical officer remanded over bribery in Pahang
Company director charged with offering RM50,000 bribe to police officer
Budget 2023: State govt has requested for RM3bil allocation, says Perak MB
Discussions in progress on AG's successor, says PM
Malaysia sending a second SMART to Turkiye
Covid-19: Parts of vaccine procurement signed off without AG's approval, says Anwar
Logger injured in Terengganu sun bear attack

Others Also Read