Report lodged in Penang over two men who illegally dumped waste into sea


GEORGE TOWN: A police report has been filed by the Penang Island City Council on the illegal disposal of waste into the sea along Farquhar Street here.

Penang Housing, Local Government, Town and Rural Development Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said illegal dumping of construction waste was taken very seriously and would not be tolerated.

"There are designated dumpsites for this sort of waste.

"Although we have four zones at the Jelutong landfill, we still have one zone that is open for this kind of waste," he said at a press conference held after the officiating ceremony of the upgraded P84 rest area along the Penang Hill Jeep Track, here on Saturday (April 20).

Jagdeep Singh said appropriate action would be taken against those caught.

He added that there were plans to increase monitoring, especially in places that were considered hotspots for dumping.

"I also urge the public to come forward if they notice any such incidents," he said.

It was reported on Friday (April 19) that two men who arrived in a lorry and disposed construction waste into the sea off Farquhar Street.

A 90-second video of the incident went viral.

The two men were seen walking back and forth before emptying the waste from their lorry into the sea.

Penang Environment Committee chairman Phee Boon Poh said the incident took place at about 2pm on Friday (April 19).

He said the lorry had been identified via a closed circuit television (CCTV) camera.

Related story:

Video of duo dumping waste off Farquhar Street goes viral

Farquhar Street , Waste dumping , Pennag