Muhyiddin: Ramkarpal wrong, police told to reopen Beng Hock case last year


PETALING JAYA: Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has refuted allegations that the police were not told to reopen the investigation on Teoh Beng Hock's death, saying an instruction was given sometime in June 2018.

"I vehemently deny Bukit Gelugor MP Ramkarpal Singh's allegation that I failed to instruct the police to reopen the investigation into the death of Teoh Beng Hock," said the Home Minister.

He said that during a post-cabinet meeting on June 27 last year, he had informed his ministry that Cabinet had decided to reopen the case and he had instructed the Inspector-General of Police to take immediate action.

"The police formed a task force led by DCP K. Manoharan to investigate the matter pursuant to my instruction and a letter from the Attorney General's Chambers (AGC).

"The task force has completed its investigation and on Oct 18, forwarded the matter to the AGC for further instruction," he said in a statement on Friday (Jan 11).

The Attorney General issued other instructions to the task force on Dec 17 and the investigation is still ongoing, he added.

"Therefore, there is no truth to Ramkarpal's allegation that I failed to instruct the IGP to reopen Teoh Beng Hock's case.

"As an MP, he should have been more careful in making any statement, especially involving members of the government administration. I deeply regret such a statement," Muhyiddin said.