Gobind: Anti-Fake News Act will be abolished


KUALA LUMPUR: The Anti-Fake News Act officially gazetted in April will be abolished, said the new Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo.

He said the proposal to repeal the Act would be brought to Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad so that it could be abolished as soon as possible.

“I have a list that we need to study. I will hold a press conference tomorrow (Tuesday ) to inform specifically. We have an Anti-Fake News Act, and as mentioned in the Pakatan Harapan manifesto, we will repeal it.

“We will set the time-frame, in the first 100 days, we have to deliver but how much time is required, I will discuss with my officials tomorrow. Indeed, I will do it and start work tomorrow at 8.30am sharp,” he said here on Monday (May 21).

He said this to reporters after taking his oath of office, loyalty and secrecy together with 12 other Cabinet Ministers before Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Muhammad V at Istana Negara here.

As the new minister heading the Ministry of Communications and Multimedia, Gobind, 45, said media freedom was his main agenda, which is included in the Pakatan Harapan manifesto.

But he said the matter should be made with reference based on the existing laws.

“Media freedom is my priority. The media churning out news and publishing companies are bound by the existing laws so we have to look at it that way, and we have to find ways to improve the freedom of press in the country. And I am committed to do so.

“I will create a group of legal experts so that they can see the impact of the law so far, where there are shortcomings, we will try to improve,” he said.

Among others that will be reviewed include several laws related to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) which relates to complaints and investigations into several reported cases. - Bernama
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Man charged with murdering father in Seremban
Source: Voting on Budget 2021 likely to be delayed to Nov 30
Floods: Keep an eye out for your loved ones, says Perak MB
Border shootout: Patriot salutes GOF units for their bravery and sacrifice
Terengganu flood worsens as water levels and number of evacuees continue to rise
Trio injured in accident involving two cars
Flood season is sick season: Melaka govt takes steps to stop spread of diseases
‘Nothing spared in glove factory probe’
Fear rising in Klang amid glove factory cluster
Top Glove working with authorities to fight pandemic

Stories You'll Enjoy