Claims on the number of stateless Indians may be overstated


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 20 Jun 2017

KUANTAN: The response to the Mega MyDaftar campaign does not tally with the claims of “hundreds of thousand” of stateless Indians in the country.

Prime Minister’s Department Special Implementation Task Force (SITF) manager G.K. Anandan said only 1,813 individuals – of various races – turned up so far to resolve documentation issues.

Of the total, 795 were applications for identification documents while the rest were inquiries since the campaign kicked off on June 5.

“One of the aims of the campaign is to conclude once and for all whether there are hundreds of thousands of stateless Indians as claimed.

“There has been a continuous effort to help register Indians with documentation issues since 2011, but the figure thus far just doesn’t match up to the claims that there are 300,000 to 450,000 Indians who do not possess MyKad and birth certificates,” Anandan said.

He was speaking to reporters after visiting the roadshow here with National Registration Depart­ment director-general Datuk Mohd Yazid Ramli yesterday.

“The Indian population in Malaysia is about 2.1 million.

“To say that there are at least 14% of Indians who are stateless just does not seem possible,” said Anandan.

He said the Mega MyDaftar campaign, to go on until Thursday, had been advertised widely on newspapers and social media.

Information is also spread through community leaders.

“We do not deny there are cases of people born in the country who have documentation problems, but the thing is the Government should not be solely blamed for it.

“The problem stems from awareness and social issues.

“Some may be born out of wedlock and they ended up not registered by their parents, and the problem continues for two to three more generations,” he said.

Anandan stressed that until and unless these people come forward, the Government would not be able to help them.

He said some 7,000 out of the 12,000 cases received previously were already resolved, while the rest were being processed.

He said the full data would be presented by SITF chairman Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam at the end of the campaign.

Mohd Yazid said deliberation on registrations under the Mega MyDaftar programme would be conducted according to provisions under the Federal Constitution and related rules and regulations.

He urged parents to register their children at birth.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

News , bureaus

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Car rams into several vehicles in Sg Buloh: Driver arrested, cops looking for 'Bob Mah Sing' to assist in investigations
Cradle fund trial: Two mobile phones still in good condition, says witness
Six youngsters detained for riding ‘basikal lajak’ in JB
Masidi praises SMK Nabawan school admin for isolating infected students to prevent spread of Covid-19
Inter-district, interstate travel ban likely to continue until at least 70% of population vaccinated, says Health DG
Warisan reps laugh off talk they will be next to quit party
Dr Noor Hisham: Allowing firms to sell Covid-19 vaccines may encourage 'queue cutting', emergence of fake vaccines
Keep your vaccination appointments, says Health DG
Covid-19: Health DG reminds all involved in public exams to comply with guidelines
Health DG: 16 Covid-19 clusters end, 10 new ones emerge

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers