THE Selangor Council of the Royal Court was established in 1959 to function as an advisory body to the state’s Ruler when the need arises.
The Council has 22 members, excluding the Sultan, which is made up of royal family members, state representatives as well as peers within the state and its districts.
The Council, which is chaired by the reigning Sultan, has a line-up of ex-officio members comprising the Raja Muda, the Tengku Bendahara Selangor, the Tengku Laksamana Selangor, the Mentri Besar, the Selangor Islamic Religious Council (MAIS) chairman and the state Mufti.
This is followed by a group of four people known as “the other heirs”, who are immediate members of the royal family and who are also in line to the throne. This is followed by a group of five district chieftains called the “orang besar”.
The final group is made up of seven members known as the “orang-orang tua” or elders.
These are normally notable men who come from various capacities.
The requirement for this position is the person appointed must be a male Shafii Muslim not less than 35 years of age, is able to read and write in Bahasa Malaysia and is of good and exemplary conduct.
The current council members are:
Selangor Ruler Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah
1) The Raja Muda of Selangor Tengku Amir Shah
2) Tengku Bendahara Selangor (vacant after the Tengku Bendahara of Selangor, Tengku Azman Shah Sultan Hishamuddin Alam Shah, passed away on March 23, 2014 at age 83.)
3) Tengku Laksamana Selangor Tengku Sulaiman Shah Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
4) Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azmin Ali
5) MAIS chairman Datuk Mohammad Adzib Mohd Isa
6) Selangor Mufti Datuk Mohd Tamyes Abd Wahid
Ahli Waris Yang Lain (The Other Heirs):
1) Tengku Aris Temenggong Selangor Tengku Muhamad Yusof Shah Sultan Ala’eddin Sulaiman Shah
2) Tengku Panglima Besar Selangor Tengku Abdul Samad Shah Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
3) Tengku Indera Setia Selangor Tengku Ahmad Shah Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
4) Tengku Indera Pahlawan Diraja Tengku Datuk Putra Alhaj Tengku Azman Shah
Orang-Orang Besar (District Chieftains)
1) Tengku Seri Wangsa Diraja Tengku Datuk Ramli Tengku Sharuddin Shah
2) Engku Setia Lela Bestari Raja Tan Sri Arshad Raja Tun Uda
3) Datuk Orang Kaya Maha Bijaya Gombak Raja Tan Sri Wan Mahmood Pa’wan Teh
4) Datuk Jugra Kurnia Diraja Tan Sri Syed Mohd Yusof Tun Syed Nasir
5) Datuk Salehuddin Saidin
Orang Tua-Tua (the Elders)
1) Datuk Abdul Halim Datuk Abdul Rauf
2) Tan Sri Ambrin Buang
3) Jen Tan Sri Mohd Hashim Mohd Ali
4) Tan Sri Ismail Adam
5) Datuk Ramli Mahmud
6) Datuk Mohammad Khusrin Munawi
7) Datuk Orang Kaya Maha Bijaya Klang Datuk Abdul Ghani Pateh Akhir