Missing Malaysian student found


A 35-year-old Malaysian university student who was reported missing in Yunlin, Taiwan, on Feb 23, was found sleeping on a street in Taitung, some 350km from where he was last seen, reported Oriental Daily.

Law Wai Siong, a second-year electronic engineering student at the National Yunlin University of Science and Technology, had lost his memory and could not speak when he was found on Sunday night.

Guanshan police chief Liu Cheng-kuang, who came across Law on the street, said he only had a belt, a bunch of keys, two mobile phones and a thumb drive on him.

However, the memory cards in the mobile phones were missing and all the data had been deleted.

Law, from Kuala Lumpur, later wrote on a piece of paper that he could not remember anything except for two incidents – that “he flew here (Taitung) from afar” and “he had been hit hard and it hurt”. He could not even remember his name.

Social workers only found out that he was the missing student after checking the thumb drive.

Law had gone missing after lea­ving the university dormitory on his motorcycle in the wee hours of Feb 23. A police report was lodged after three days.

> Sin Chew Daily reported that a two-year-old boy in Anhui, China, was killed after his mother did not notice him straying onto the road as she was too engrossed with her handphone.

During the April 19 incident, the toddler, known as Han Han, was run over by a car in a residential area.

His mother only put down the phone upon hearing a loud crash when the car ran over her son.

Although she quickly rushed to check on the boy, he was already dead.

> Kwong Wah Yit Poh reported that a primary pupil in Seberang Perai, Penang, suffered minor burns on his right wrist after a mini fan he was using suddenly explo­ded at about 10am on Monday.

A relative said the boy had brought the gadget to school because the weather was unbearably hot.

“The school allowed pupils to bring portable mini fans to school and the boy’s parents bought him one. We never expected the battery compartment to suddenly explode.

“He has been using the fan for some time. He was lucky as the fan was not near his face when it exploded,” said the relative.

Since the incident, the school headmaster had prohibited the use of mini fans.


  • Found in translation is compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with a >, it denotes a separate news item.



   

Across The Star Online