MALACCA: The flood situation in Malacca has improved but the situation in Johor worsened as another relief centre was opened in Segamat.
The number of evacuees in Malacca dropped to 359 people from 88 families as of 4pm, compared to 3,951 people from 887 families at noon.
Malacca Civil Defence Department director Lt Col (PA) Effendy Ali said only two relief centres remained open, namely SK Belimbing Dalam with 327 victims, and Bukit Balai Durian Tunggal community centre, housing 32 people.
"All relief centres in Malacca Tengah and Jasin have been closed as of this evening," he said when contacted by Bernama here Monday.
However, he reminded the people to remain vigilant, and be prepared in case the floods returned.
The weather in Malacca Monday was sunny and cloudy in certain areas around Alor Gajah and Malacca Tengah.
Meanwhile, in Johor, another relief centre was opened this afternoon, namely at SK Spang Loi in Segamat.
According to the State Disaster Management Committee, five victims from one family had been moved to the centre.
"With the addition of the this relief centre, the total number of flood victims placed in four relief centres as of this afternoon increased to 127 people from 34 families," he said when contacted.
He said the number of flood victims at the relief centre in Sekolah Agama Bandar Tangkak also increased this afternoon from 24 to 41 people. - Bernama