Ex-GRO bugged by phone calls from lecturer


SHAH ALAM: A former guest relations officer said she rejected 12 calls from Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM) lecturer Bakarudin Busu proposing “a one-night stand” but decided to see him after the 13th call. 

Siti Rahmah Azman Subramaniam told the High Court yesterday that she did not tell him that her boyfriend, who wanted to get Bakarudin to stop calling her, would be with her.  

DAY IN COURT: Siti Rahmah leaving the High Court in ShahAlam yesterday. She is one of the prosecution’s key witnesses.

She said Bakarudin began calling her after she “bumped” into him and his two friends at Taipan Club, Subang Jaya, in early February 2002. 

She asked him to help reinstate her in UiTM as she left the university in 2001 because she had failed a particular subject thrice. 

She was a student there in 1999 and had majored in Sports Science and Recreation. 

She said she accompanied Bakarudin and his friends into a karaoke room but left an hour later as “they were behaving indecently towards me.” 

She said she later complained to her boyfriend about the men’s behaviour.  

She said Bakarudin called her the next day and offered to help her if she slept with him. 

She said she was shocked and angry and refused Bakarudin’s proposition.  

Siti Rahmah, 23, now a corporate planner with Global Certification Sdn Bhd, was testifying at the trial of four men accused of murdering Bakarudin in Subang Jaya at 9.30pm on Feb 12, 2002. 

The four are sales executive Sulkarnain Alias, 27, forklift driver Noorman Ab Wahab, 26, and former students of Institut Kemahiran Bina Negara Azizul Azual Jailani and Muhammad Zakwan Ahmad Zaki (both 21). 

The charred remains of Bakarudin, 35, were found in a monsoon drain that night. 

Siti Rahmah, who is one of the prosecution's key witnesses, was originally charged with the four accused, but was given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal in July last year.  

During cross-examination by Sulkarnain’s counsel Sukri Mohamed, Siti Rahmah said she later told Sulkarnain about Bakarudin’s telephone calls. 

Siti Rahmah said Sulkarnain was very upset and after the 13th phone call decided to meet Bakarudin.  

“I agreed to the meeting only after Sulkarnain convinced me that he would not harm Bakarudin as he said he wanted to settle the matter amicably,” said Siti Rahmah.  

She said Sulkarnain brought his friends with him as he was afraid that Bakarudin would bring some friends to the meeting. 

The hearing continues today. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Next In Nation

Four suspects, including a policeman, nabbed for alleged robbery in JB
Cop found murdered with gunshot to head in Sibu
'Great mosque' once existed beneath A' Famosa, says Perzim
Senior cop linked to Nicky Gang released on bail
Former military intelligence head fined RM70,000 for corruption
Maqis hands over almost 10 tonnes of seized frozen meat to Zoo Negara
Covid-19: 2,448 private facilities registered as vaccination centres, 299 ready for operation
Covid-19: No sports, recreational activities allowed in MCO areas for two weeks
FT Ministry identifies bazaars, malls visited by hundreds of Covid-19-positive individuals, close contacts
Klang Valley roadblocks will follow district borders, says IGP

Stories You'll Enjoy