Mother yearns for son

  • Nation
  • Sunday, 20 Jul 2003


TELUK INTAN: The mother of fisherman Loo Thean Choy, who was kidnapped by pirates near Pulau Jarak on May 28, is pining for her son. 

Chung Swee Kham, 63, said her family in Hutan Melintang, had been praying for Loo’s return. He has been rescued by the Indonesian army and is in Aceh now.  

Loo Thean Choy

She said Loo, 29, her third child, called her once after the abduction and said “Mama, ask my brother-in-law to take me home quickly”.  

“It’s a hard time for my husband and I. We miss him so much but the only thing we can do now is wait for his return patiently,” she said in an interview here yesterday. 

On May 28, 10 armed pirates abducted Loo and a Thai worker after shooting their skipper Tan Choo Hee, 35, in the seas about 20 nautical miles from Pulau Jarak. 

Tan, who was wounded in the right thigh, and two other Thai crew members were left in the pirates’ boat while the abductors escaped in the Malaysian fishing vessel. 

The Malaysian maritime police later rescued Tan and the Thai nationals. Tan was warded at the Seri Manjung Hospital in Manjung, Perak while the Thai workers returned home. Tan has been discharged since. 

Loo’s brother-in-law Tang Lek Kiam said the Indonesian army told him that Loo and the Thai crew member were kidnapped by Acehnese rebels. 

WAITING PATIENTLY: Tang has sought help from Wisma Putra and the Indonesian Embassy to bring his brother-in-law home quickly.

“We had been told that they were rescued by Indonesian soldiers late June,” he said. 

Tang said he had earlier received a call from the rebels demanding ransom for Loo and the Thai worker’s release. 

“They said if we didn’t pay the money to them, they will kill Loo and the worker. We are now seeking the help of friends to take care of Loo who is now with the Indonesian authorities in Acheh and to help bring back soon,” he said. 

Tang said he had also sought assistance from Wisma Putra and the Indonesian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur. 

“I was told that the Indonesian army was waiting for a report from the Consulate General of Malaysia in Medan. 

“I believe once the report is completed, the Indonesian authorities would release Loo,” he said.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Next In Nation

Car rams into several vehicles in Sg Buloh: Driver arrested, cops looking for 'Bob Mah Sing' to assist in investigations
Cradle fund trial: Two mobile phones still in good condition, says witness
Six youngsters detained for riding ‘basikal lajak’ in JB
Masidi praises SMK Nabawan school admin for isolating infected students to prevent spread of Covid-19
Inter-district, interstate travel ban likely to continue until at least 70% of population vaccinated, says Health DG
Warisan reps laugh off talk they will be next to quit party
Dr Noor Hisham: Allowing firms to sell Covid-19 vaccines may encourage 'queue cutting', emergence of fake vaccines
Keep your vaccination appointments, says Health DG
Covid-19: Health DG reminds all involved in public exams to comply with guidelines
Health DG: 16 Covid-19 clusters end, 10 new ones emerge

Stories You'll Enjoy