Student wins endurance challenge

  • Community
  • Friday, 16 Sep 2005

BIOMEDICAL student Wong Yii Cheng stayed on his feet for 48 hours to outlast 22 other Malaysians to be Megathon Champion at the Subang Parade endurance challenge recently. 

Battling exhaustion and the desire to sleep, Wong, 21, was almost eliminated during the “sudden death” matches, but persevered and walked away with RM50,000 in cash and prizes. 

“I'm excited but I'm tired,” he said after being declared the winner. “The first thing I'm going to do is get some sleep!”  

Wong attributed his success to his two friends who also participated in the event.  

Some of thecontestants inthe SubangParadeendurancechallenge.

“I almost gave up many times, but my friends encouraged me to stay on,” he said.  

Wong, who aspires to be a pharmacist, plans to use the prize money to pay his tuition fees.  

The Megathon was conceived as a sporting challenge in conjunction with the 48th Merdeka celebrations, to test the participants' physical strength and mental stamina.  

The participants were required to press the palm of their right hand on designated handprint spots on a wall and were not allowed to remove their hands or rest against the wall, except for specific stops in the challenge.  

The challenge began at 3pm on Aug 29 and ended at 3pm on Aug 31. In the final two hours, the contestants were put through a series of “sudden death” matches that included a memory game and several physical tests.  

Lee Seng Hoo, 43, was runner-up, while Soo Lian Seng, 44, who was the oldest contestant, was third and Paramesswaran Paniandi, 24, fourth.  

Nuraini Rozaiti Mahamud, 33, who was fifth, was honoured as the last woman standing.  

All the top five won body and foot massagers from main prize sponsor Ogawa, while the other participants received shopping vouchers worth RM100 from various sponsors.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Across the site