Phase One of the Gold Bazaar project along Jalan Mesjid Kapitan Keling has been completed on schedule and the Penang Municipal Council is now finalising plans for Phase Two.
State Local Government, Environment and Traffic Management Committee chairman Datuk Dr Teng Hock Nan said Phase One, which involved ground works such as the installation of underground utilities and cables, had been completed.
“Phase Two of the project which will involve the installation of amenities like phone booths, toilets and work on the Information centre has yet to start,” he said.
Dr Teng said he was getting feedback and more information on Phase Two from the council and the contractor before work commenced.
The council is taking into consideration public protest against the removal of the neem trees at the project site.
“We are looking into ways to work around the trees instead of felling them to make way for the project,” he said.
Phase One, which started in May last year, took about nine months to complete while Phase Two is scheduled for completion in June this year.
Penang DAP's Citizens Against Government Waste Committee adviser Chow Kon Yeow held a press conference on Monday accusing the council and the state of not checking on the contractors handling the project, thus causing a delay.
Chow claimed that Phase One of the project, which was scheduled for completion on Jan 1 this year, was not completed and behind schedule.
He said the project had affected the businesses along the road especially the jewellery and gemstone shops.
He said any delay in the project would affect the livelihood of these people and urged the council to speed up the project.
Chow, who is Tanjung MP, also urged the council to speed up the beautification and conservation projects in Little India, Lebuh Acheh and Lebuh Armenian as the businesses of more than 500 traders in the area were adversely affected.