Don’t allow commercial premises around Taman Tasik Titiwangsa, urge residents


Items seized from the illegal food court in Taman Tasik Titiwangsa being carted away during the operation. — ONG SOON HIN/The Star

RESIDENTS around Taman Tasik Titiwangsa in Kuala Lumpur want authorities to ensure commercial premises are not allowed near the recreational area.

They thanked authorities for demolishing an illegal food court there on Feb 29, but said better monitoring and enforcement were needed around the lakeside park.

Laif Mohd Fisal said too many roadside hawkers were operating there at night, causing congestion and cleanliness problems.

“DBKL (Kuala Lumpur City Hall) enforcement officers regularly patrol the area but only until 9pm.

“After that, these traders will start operating,” he said.

Sylvester Navaratnam, who is also a Federal Territory Residents Representative Council member, urged authorities to check on other commercial premises.

“Under Kuala Lumpur Structure Plan 2020, this area is designated for residential use so no commercial premises should be allowed,” he stressed.

Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur Land and Mines Office (PTGWP) deputy director Mohd Firdaus Ibaruslan said the owner of the food court had until March 29 to remove any remaining structure from the site.

“We took into consideration the appeal by the operator for more time to move their equipment.

“They have until March 29 to do so,” he said when met during the joint operation.

These items include metal cabins which were used as a makeshift office and workers’ quarters.

The operation to demolish the food court was led by PTGWP and included DBKL, Pengurusan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd, Tenaga Nasional Bhd and the police.

Items such as tents, tables, chairs and gas cylinders were seized during the operation.

Mohd Firdaus said electricity and water supplies to the food court − which was built on government reserve land − were cut.StarMetro had been highlighting complaints by residents for nearly a year about the food court run by a non-governmental organisation since 2021.

A notice was issued for the operator to vacate the site by Feb 14 but PTGWP granted an extension until Feb 29.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Metro News

Timely boost for women’s golf in the region
Global furniture fair nails it again
‘Address safety amid traffic surge’
‘Higher penalties for polluters not enough’
New longhouse planned on higher ground to avoid flooding in Sibu village
Maiden visits by two ships to Swettenham Pier Cruise Terminal
Hospital celebrates legacy with commitment to sustainability
Igniting an adventurous spirit
Heritage building in KL getting from bad to worse
Indulgent Sunday brunch with unlimited dim sum

Others Also Read