More aid to upgrade flats


Sri Saujana Apartments residents using the lifts.

SRI Saujana Apartments in George Town, Penang, will be getting three lifts upgraded under the state’s Housing Maintenance Maximum 80% Fund (TPM80PP).

State housing committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said the approval for the upgrade of the lifts at Block 42A would cost RM239,400 in total.

“The state will pay RM191,520 (80%) while the remaining RM47,880 (20%) will be borne by the residents’ association,” he said during a press conference that was streamed live recently.

Under TPM80PP, a total of RM45.24mil has been allocated so far for private housing projects such as Sri Saujana Apartments.

The allocation will cover 479 projects, of which the highest scope of work is the upgrading and replacing of lifts (277 projects), and replacement or repairing of water tanks (135 projects).

Jagdeep said as of Sept 9, RM285mil had been spent by the state to maintain public and private housing schemes.

The Sri Saujana Apartments has three blocks – 42A, 42B and 42C – which were completed in 2006. Each block has 13 floors with 18 lifts in total.

Jagdeep said despite the pandemic, the state would continue to help Penangites with programmes such as TPM80PP.

“We will not let Covid-19 beat us because we will beat it, and we will assist where we can,” he said.

On a separate matter, Jagdeep hoped that the new Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican would continue the good relations between the state and Federal Government, especially in the housing programme.

“I welcome his appointment and as he is a Penangite himself, I hope he can continue with the work that we have done here,” he said.

He also thanked Reezal for making the effort to call him personally and invite him to a meeting in Putrajaya.

Jagdeep led a delegation to meet Reezal to discuss housing issues in the state on Monday.

On the vaccination exercise for teenagers, Jagdeep urged the Federal Government to consider the needs of Penang and other states.

He said it was good that the Federal Government had carried out vaccination for teenagers in Sarawak and Selangor, and stressed that Penang and other states should get similar attention.

“We must ensure that all our teachers and teenagers who are going back to school in October get vaccinated as soon as possible.

“The health of teenagers returning to school cannot be compromised as there are so many cases in Penang now,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Metro News

Kampung Giching residents hit by second flood in a week
Hidden cost of free parking
‘Not viable to convert nightclubs into eateries’
Flooded roads a fact of life for apartment folk in Shah Alam
MBPJ to repair damaged path at Astaka field
Skills apprenticeship gives jobless chance to generate income
RM270,000 for marine conservation
Ayer Hitam MP’s office reopens in NRP Phase 3
Spotlight on Sikh Union’s decades of service
Enjoy Halloween chills and thrills in mall

Others Also Read


Vouchers