Minister: DOE yet to receive factory’s application


Tuan Ibrahim (right) and Nazri at the town hall in Kampung Jenjarom, Banting. — LOW BOON TAT/The Star

THE Environment and Water Ministry has yet to receive a formal application from a battery factory to operate near Kampung Jenjarom in Banting, Selangor.

Minister Datuk Seri Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man said the Environment Department (DOE) was still gathering information on the matter.

He said this during a town hall session with Kampung Jenjarom villagers who were concerned about the factory being allowed to operate again after a pollution incident in 2019.

“I was informed that the factory was not planning to make batteries from scratch and that they were only going to assemble components.

“Their water usage could also be much lower compared to the previous owner, ” he said.

Tuan Ibrahim had earlier attended a briefing at the factory about its proposed operations but StarMetro was barred from attending.

StarMetro had reported on Jan 5 that the previous battery factory was ordered to close in 2019 by the Selangor government after the factory was found responsible for lead pollution in the area.

The plant had since been bought by another company looking to make solar batteries at the same site.

Villagers objected to the proposed plan as they said the area was considered a medium industry zone.

The Kuala Langat Local Plan 2030 classifies battery production as a heavy industry.

Selangor DOE director Nor Aziah Jaafar said the factory must not release harmful substances into the air and surrounding water bodies.

She said the department’s attendance at the briefing did not mean that the factory would receive the go-ahead to operate.

Masjid Jenjarom administrator Rafiee Hashim said villagers were uneasy about having such an industry in close proximity to their houses.

Villager Mohd Nazri Afrizal, who coordinated the town hall, said the local plan clearly categorised battery production as a heavy industry.

Pertubuhan Tindakan Alam Sekitar Kuala Langat secretary Pua Lay Peng urged DOE and Kuala Langat Municipal Council (MPKL) to consider the health risks to nearby residents, including children.

Responding to these concerns, Tuan Ibrahim proposed for dialogues to be held between the factory owner and villagers.

Sijangkang assemblyman Datuk Dr Ahmad Yunus Hairi, who was present at the town hall, volunteered to facilitate the meetings.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Next In Metro News

Ipoh residents can send complaints, feedback to city council via Facebook Live starting March 4
Porridge shop owner may consider returning to work after taking a break
All trading lots taken up at Pasar Mahkota Sentral in Cheras that was hit by multiple delays
‘Advisable for management bodies of high-rise residences to abide by act’
‘Some employers doing more for wellbeing of foreign staff’
Hard work behind virtual Chinese New Year party
Two factories raided for violating closure notice, equipment seized
Anti-dengue checks at Klang construction sites next week
‘Sarawakians having more confidence in vaccine’
MP gives out over 2,700 fabric face masks for Year One pupils

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers