IN DESPERATE need for water, the residents of Istara Condominium in Section 52, Petaling Jaya, are resorting to using the water in the swimming pool.
The residents were among the four million people affected by the scheduled water cut due to Tenaga Nasional Bhd’s (TNB) mandatory maintenance work on the Bukit Badong substation in Hulu Selangor on Dec 19.
This caused the Sungai Selangor Water Treatment Plant Phases 1, 2 and 3 to cease operations from 8am to midnight on the same day, disrupting supply to some 800 locations in two zones.
One Istara resident G. Krishnan said they did not expect to go without water as they had never experienced water disruption even when the water rationing exercise was carried out last year.
“I think many of us took it lightly and did not prepare for the worst.
“Our taps ran dry on Tuesday morning. We did store some water but since it has been more than 24 hours, some residents have become desperate. Residents came with pails to store water at home before leaving for work,” he said.
One of those who decided to obtain water from the swimming pool was Ainah Adnan.
“I was happy when we had water on Monday and was shocked to find not a drop of water coming out of our taps on Tuesday. We have to bathe and at least have enough water to use the toilet.
“There were two people swimming in the pool when I went to get water. I felt sorry for them and apologised. I was desperate as our toilets were running dry, and we have exhausted our stored supply,” she said.
Meanwhile, businesses affected by the water cut had to carry on, even if it meant using mineral water for washing.
Jenny Toh, director of Hair Front salon in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, said she bought many bottles of mineral water to make sure her business was not affected by the disruption in water supply.
“Water supply stopped on Monday morning and we used up all our stored water by noon. However, I bought many bottles of water as back-up and used that for customers who came for hair treatment and wash.
“We have a string of regulars who depend on us, and we cannot turn them down. I do not charge them extra because it is a temporary situation. We have to find ways to go on with our daily routine because closing would cost us a lot of money,” she said.
Many people also said they were confused over the exact dates their areas would be affected.
A spokesman for Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd (Syabas) said areas under Zone One would have received water supply from 4pm on Monday.
“According to our schedule, water supply to Zone One will be stopped from 9am on Dec 20 and reconnected again on Dec 23 at 4pm.
“Meanwhile, for Zone Two, water supply should resume by 4pm on Dec 21 but will be disconnected again at 9am on Dec 23.
“However, the company expects water supply to resume in all areas on Dec 24,” said the spokesman.
In a statement by Syabas at press time, it was stated that water supply resumed in 99% of areas in Zone One.
Areas that were still affected by the water disruption were Sungai Penchala, Bukit Lanjan, Pinggiran TTDI and SS21 Damansara.
It was also stated that areas in Zone Two should be receiving water starting 4pm yesterday.
Those in need of water supply can request for water tanker by sending an SMS to 15300 (Type: TANKER