THERE has been a slight drop in dengue cases in Penang in the third week of July but the disease continues to be a worry as the number of cases is still high.
State Health Committee chairman Dr Afif Bahardin said 97 cases were reported from July 12 to 18 which is a drop of 12 cases compared with 109 cases the previous week.
He, however, said the number of cases this year until July 18 was 3,032 compared with 1,017 for the same period last year.
“This is an increase of 198% or 2,015 cases,” he said in a statement on Friday.
He said the number of deaths so far this year remained at six compared with three last year.
He said there were currently six uncontrolled outbreak locations in the state, namely Jalan Gopeng, Taman Free School, Jalan York and Symphony Park in the northeast district, Tingkat Batu Maung in the southwest district and Taman Machang Bubok Zon E in central Seberang Prai.
He said there were also 20 controlled outbreak locations.
Dr Afif reminded the public to ensure there were no mosquito breeding grounds on their premises.
He said they should seek immediate treatment if they come down with fever, rashes, vomiting, poor appetite and pain in the joints.