THE number of illegal sand mining activity has reduced from about 70% to about 30% now, said Perak executive council chairman Datuk Dr Mah Hang Soon.
He said this was brought about by the state beefing up its monitoring and enforcement operations.
Dr Mah said sand mining revenue also increased by about RM10mil last year.
He said the state was getting a monthly revenue of about RM835,000 from sand mining operators and had also managed to curb illegal mining activity last year.
“According to the Auditor-General’s report, the state has received recognition for its efforts to enforce and monitor sand mining activities in the state.
“The report also noted that it would look at our enforcement and monitoring operations as a model for other states,” he said during a committee meeting on curbing illegal sand mining activities at the state secretariat building last Thursday.
Dr Mah said the state would continue its effort to eradicate illegal sand miners.
“About 33 investigation papers have been opened with 12 cases taken to court.
“One company has been fined RM15,000 by the court and about RM144,000 worth of deposits have been seized,” he said.
“About RM44,000 worth of compounds have also been issued,” he added.
On the meeting, Dr Mah said they have agreed on several proposals to be tabled at the state executive council meeting to better manage sand mining operations.
“One proposal includes allowing the usage of 22 and 26-wheeler lorries.
“Sand mining operators will also have to pay royalty to the state according to its load,” he said.
“Another proposal is to issue K3 permits to all operators,” he said, adding that such permits allowed operators to transport sand out of the state.
“If the operator wants to transport the sand within the state, they will need to show proof and get a special permit,” he added.