PETALING JAYA: Schools in Perak, Pahang and Kelantan that are being used as flood relief centres or still inundated by floods have been allowed to postpone their new school term by another week.
Education director-general Datuk Dr Khair Mohamad Yusof said 41 schools were affected – four in Kelantan, 18 in Pahang and 19 in Perak.
“This means that these affected schools in Kelantan will now start on Jan 18 ,while those in Perak and Pahang will start on Jan 19,” he said in a statement.
“The schools will have to replace the five days with classes,” he added.
He said the postponement was in line with Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s statement on Jan 8 that schools might need more time to clean up to enable students to study in safely and comfortable environment.
The ministry, Dr Khair added, thanked volunteers comprising students, non-governmental organisations, voluntary bodies from throughout the country, the military, police, firemen, parents and other government agencies for helping to clean the affected schools.
Muhyiddin, who is also Education Minister, announced last month that the new school term had been postponed by a week, with classes starting on Jan 12 and a day earlier in Kedah, Kelantan, Terengganu and Johor.
Schools in Kedah, Kelantan, Terengganu and Johor were initially scheduled to reopen on Jan 4 and a day later in other states.