SEOUL: South Korea said discussions with the United States over strategic investment projects are continuing, following a media report that Washington is pressing Seoul to accelerate the plans.
Talks with the United States are underway through various channels and the South Korean government is responding to bilateral trade issues through frequent communication, an official at the presidential office said on Saturday in response to a Bloomberg News query on the report.
The Korea Economic Daily said last Friday Washington had expressed dissatisfaction that South Korea has yet to announce projects under a US$200bil strategic investment commitment.
It said the US Department of Commerce emailed South Korea last week, following similar communications late last month, to get Seoul to speed up projects tied to reciprocal tariffs. The emails indicated further delays could be reported to President Donald Trump, the daily said.
The South Korean presidential official declined to confirm specific details of bilateral discussions or internal government communications and responses.
In March, South Korea’s Parliament approved a special bill required to implement a pledge to invest US$350bil in the United States. — Bloomberg
