Govt contests hospital move order


THE government will challenge the Supreme Court’s order to move jailed former prime minister Imran Khan (pic) to a private hospital for medical checks, the law minister said.

The ruling “does not fall within the four corners of the law”, Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar said in a video statement shared on X by state broadcaster Radio Pakistan on Tuesday.

The government was submi­tting a petition for a review that would call for 73-year-old Khan’s medical tests to be conducted at a government hospital, instead of a private facility as the court had ordered.

“Until such time as evidence or material is available to show that government hospitals are unable to provide this type of treatment or cannot do so, such arrangements are normally not made,” Azam Nazeer said.

The three-bench court decided on Tuesday that the ex-cricket captain would be moved “within the next two days” to Shifa Inter­national Hospital in the capital Islamabad.

He would also be allowed to meet with his family once a week and speak to his sons via telephone twice weekly, the court order stated.

Khan’s personal physician Faisal Sultan, and sister and ­medical doctor Uzma Khan, “shall be permitted to remain associated with the prisoner’s medical exa­mination and treatment”.

The judges warned against public gatherings within the hospital grounds or the use of information about Khan’s health for political gain, cautioning any breaches could lead to the order being reversed.

The next hearing was set for Sept 16.

Khan and his wife, Bushra Bibi, were sentenced late last year to 17 years behind bars after being charged with a slew of crimes.

The former prime minister insists the charges were politi­cally motivated. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read