JAKARTA: President Prabowo Subianto led the 81st Independence Day ceremony in Jakarta on Monday (Aug 17), as the country marked the occasion amid the aftermath of a deadly earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) and unrest during an Aceh peace anniversary event over the weekend.
Dressed in a navy beskap (traditional jacket), paired with a black peci (traditional cap) and a jasmine garland, Prabowo led the flag-hoisting ceremony at Merdeka Palace in Central Jakarta, serving as the inspector of the commemoration of the nation’s independence.
The event began with a series of arts performance, a parade and a gilded carriage carrying the replica of the national red-and-white flag and the original Proclamation text from the National Monument (Monas) to the Merdeka Palace, escorted by 114 cavalry troops and 45 military police officers on motorcycles from the presidential security detail.

A solemn atmosphere followed as Prabowo led a moment of silence to commemorate the services and sacrifices of the country’s national heroes and called on attendees to pray for Indonesians affected by disasters.
This year, Indonesia celebrated Independence Day as people in Flores Island, NTT were still reeling from a powerful earthquake that killed 53 people and damaged hundreds of houses and buildings.
Some 5,400 people fled their homes as the 7.7-magnitude quake hit the island early Saturday, followed by nearly 1,000 aftershocks of varying intensities, according to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB). More than 130 people had been injured, many with broken bones.
On Monday morning, a 5.8-magnitude earthquake struck off the island. The quake occurred at a depth of 10km, with its epicentre located at sea about 39km north of NTT, according to the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG).

State Secretary Prasetyo Hadi said some ministers were absent from the ceremony in Jakarta due to work visits to NTT to monitor implementation of the disaster response, including coordinating human development minister Pratikno, Home Minister Tito Karnavian, Public Works Minister Dody Hanggodo and Deputy Health Minister Benjamin Paulus Octavianus.
“As we celebrate Independence Day, we also need to ensure that our fellow citizens who are affected by the disaster are being cared for,” Prasetyo said.
Asked whether the President planned to travel to NTT to inspect the situation and meet the victims, Prasetyo said no decisions have been made.
“We will look at the situation. The ministers are already there. We will see what the situation is like and then decide,” he said. - The Jakarta Post/ANN
