China says successfully conducted test missile launch in Pacific Ocean


Illustrative photo of China's nuclear-powered submarine. - Reuters

BEIJING: China's navy said it successfully conducted a test missile launch in the Pacific Ocean on Monday (July 6), after nations in the region warned that Beijing was planning to test an intercontinental ballistic missile.

"At 12.01pm on July 6, a strategic nuclear submarine of China's People's Liberation Army Navy successfully launched a... strategic missile carrying a training simulation warhead into the relevant high seas of the Pacific Ocean, accurately landing in the designated sea area," spokesperson Wang Xuemeng said in a statement posted on a navy WeChat account.

"This missile test launch is a routine arrangement of China's annual military training, and relevant countries were informed in advance," Wang said.

The launch came on the same day that China and Russia were due to begin their annual joint naval exercises off Qingdao, a major military port and seaside resort in China's east.

It was not immediately clear if the missile launch was part of those drills.

Papua New Guinea's foreign minister and a New Zealand government source told AFP earlier on Monday that China was preparing to test-fire a nuclear-capable missile into the Pacific Ocean.

"Yes, China has briefed me. I was personally called by the Chinese ambassador," Papua New Guinea Foreign Minister Justin Tkatchenko said when asked if he had been warned.

A New Zealand government source also told AFP China had alerted them about an upcoming intercontinental ballistic missile test.

They did not make clear where the missile was expected to land.

China's elite Rocket Force fired a dummy warhead into the sea near French Polynesia in September 2024, its first long-range missile launch over international waters in more than 40 years.

It appeared to be one of China's advanced Dong Feng-31 missiles, analysts said at the time, a weapon capable of delivering a thermonuclear warhead.

The long-range missile splashed into a patch of ocean long designated a nuclear-free zone under an international treaty.

New Zealand's Defence Force has privately warned that Beijing's naval forays and ballistic missile tests would become a "persistent" feature of the Pacific, according to an internal document obtained by AFP last month. -AFP

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Nepal, India agree to use modern technology for border surveillance
Chinese Foreign Minister calls for stronger all-round cooperation with Indonesia to tackle risks, challenges
Philippines-Japan defence logistics pact enters into force
Brunei records 14 days of excessive hot weather
Childcare centres in Sarawak to close immediately if API reaches 200
Laos' Clean Energy Day 2026 to promote nation’s energy transition
Web of cuteness: Tiny jumping spiders are now social media’s unlikeliest stars
Vietnam proposes 30 per cent income tax cut for individuals, businesses
Guarantees sought that corrupt officials will not receive leniency for damaging Cambodia’s reputation
Haze: All flights cancelled at Singkawang Airport

Others Also Read