US Vice President Vance to travel to Pakistan for Iran talks, says White House official


US Vice President JD Vance steps off the Air Force 2 as he travels to a Turning Points USA event at the University of Georgia on April 14, 2026. -- Getty Images via AFP

ISTANBUL (Bernama-Anadolu): US Vice President JD Vance will travel to Pakistan for Iran negotiations, a White House official told Anadolu Ajansi, confirming his participation amid contradictory statements.

Special envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner will also travel to Islamabad, according to the official, Anadolu Ajansi reported.

Earlier Sunday, President Donald Trump said Vance would not be attending, informing ABC News of the Secret Service's concerns about arranging the vice president's security on less than 24-hour notice.

"JD's great," Trump said, but logistics made the trip impossible on such short notice.

The confusion deepened throughout the day as ABC News, Axios, and US Energy Secretary Chris Wright separately reported that Vance would, in fact, lead the US delegation, contradicting Trump's statements.

Meetings are scheduled for Tuesday in Islamabad, possibly extending into Wednesday, Trump told Fox News. Vance previously led an earlier round of negotiations that ended without an agreement.

Trump warned Sunday that if Iran does not sign the deal, "the whole country is getting blown up," describing the proposal as "a very simple deal" and calling it Iran's "last chance."

-- BERNAMA-ANADOLU

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Iran , US , conflict , negotiation , JD Vance , Pakistan , talks

Next In Aseanplus News

Young age, vile acts of suspects in Japan robbery-murder case are horrifying: Editorial
Over 1,100 SingLit book titles added to Singapore Culture Pass list
Thai Cabinet approves Thai Help Thai Plus for 43 million people, registration opens May 25
Asia airlines need help to cope with fuel surge, trade body says
Taiwan opposition vote to impeach president fails
Penang Pakatan remains open to working with Barisan, says Chow
Singaporean tourist rescued by helicopter in South Korea after allegedly entering restricted area
Barisan to continue maintaining understanding in Unity Govt, says Zambry
StanChart to cut more than 7,000 jobs as bank steps up AI adoption
Indonesia signed letter but made no commitment to US on airspace access: Defence minister

Others Also Read