Diplomatic spat drives drop in Chinese tourism


Mainland Chinese visitors to Japan tumbled 60.7% in January year-on-year, figures showed, in the continued fallout from the countries’ diplomatic spat.

“Last year, the lunar new year began in late January, but this year it fell in mid-February,” the Japan National Tourism Organi­zation said as it published the data yesterday.

“Additionally, the Chinese government issued a warning advising against travel to Japan. Factors such as reduced flight frequencies also contributed to the number of foreign visitors to Japan falling below the level of the same month last year,” a statement said.

Previously Chinese visitors were the biggest contingent, contributing to a tourism boom in the land of cherry blossom and Mount Fuji that was fuelled by a weak yen making shopping cheap.

But in January this year, South Korea was the biggest source with 1.2 million visitors, up 21.6%, compared with 385,300 from mainland China, down from 980,520 in January 2025.

Visitors from Hong Kong also tumbled 17.9%.

Overall, the number of visitors to Japan fell 4.9% to 3.597 million in January compared to the same period last year.

Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi suggested in November that Japan could intervene militarily if Beijing sought to take Taiwan by force.

China, which regards the democratic island as part of its territory and has not ruled out force to annex it, was furious.

Beijing summoned Tokyo’s ambassador and on Nov 14 warned Chinese citizens against visiting Japan, citing “significant risks to the personal safety and lives of Chinese citizens”.

In December, J-15 jets from China’s Liaoning aircraft carrier twice locked radar on Japanese aircraft in international waters near Okinawa, according to Japan.

China also tightened controls on exports to Japan for items with potential military uses, fuelling worries that Beijing may choke supplies of vital rare-earth minerals.

Japan’s last two pandas were even returned to China last month.

Takaichi, 64, who was seen as a China hawk before becoming Japan’s first woman prime minister in October, said she was open to various dialogues with China.

But China’s foreign ministry said “genuine dialogue should be built on respect for one another”.

“Proclaiming dialogue with one’s mouth while engaging in confrontation – no one will accept this kind of dialogue,” foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian said on Tuesday. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Japan

Next In Aseanplus News

Ho Chi Minh City emerges as hub for integrating digital tools
Asia shares get tech lift as Iran, rate uncertainty loom over markets
Three taken to hospital, including one with burn injuries, after fire in Singapore condo
Bangkok’s air quality worsens, with Thawi Watthana and Nong Khaem most affected by rising PM2.5 levels
Ringgit opens lower vs US$ following FOMC minutes
Investor confidence returns after CNY break
Singaporean actress Aileen Tan thankful to be offered main roles at 60
South Korea braces for verdict in ex President Yoon's insurrection trial
AI pioneer Fei-Fei Li's World Labs raises $1 billion in funding
Robots rocking into the Lunar New Year

Others Also Read