Australian government to cut 500 "nuisance" tariffs


A staff member arranges commodities at a supermarket in Canberra, Australia, March 5, 2025. - Photo: Xinhua

CANBERRA: (Bernama-Xinhua) The Australian government on Thursday (Aug 28) said that it will cut another 500 "nuisance" tariffs as part of a push to boost productivity and encourage free trade, reported Xinhua.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers, Trade Minister Don Farrell and Industry and Innovation Minister Tim Ayres on Thursday announced that the small tariffs on items including tyres, wine glasses and televisions will be removed from the start of the next financial year on July 1, 2026, to reduce the compliance burden on businesses.

Chalmers told reporters in Canberra that the nuisance tariffs "often do more than good". He said that current tariffs on tyres raise less than A$80,000 (US$52,109.8) in revenue every year, but that removing them will save businesses more than A$32 million (US$20.8 million) in compliance costs annually.

"We are putting our money where our mouth is," Farrell said, adding, "We want countries to remove trade barriers. We are demonstrating to the rest of the world we are serious about this issue."

The government in 2024 abolished 457 nuisance tariffs on items including certain vegetables, refrigerators, and rubber.

The further cuts were proposed during the government's economic reform roundtable, which brought together business groups, trade unions and economists earlier in August to discuss ideas to stimulate Australia's stagnating economic productivity.

Chalmers said that the treasury will consult on the proposed tariffs to be cut by December and the final agreed list will be published in the next federal budget, which he is expected to hand down in May 2026. - Bernama-Xinhua

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Probe underway after 72 tigers die at Chiang Mai, Thailand's tiger parks
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
Duterte at International Criminal Court: How he ended up accused of murder in international tribunal
Ringgit likely to trade cautiously next week ahead of key US data
Malaysia weighs Impact of US tariff ruling, says Johari
Urgent action needed to combat synthetic drug abuse among students, says Lee Lam Thye
Opinion - ‘I dream he is looking for his phone’: Cambodian mother recalls how Thai shell killed her 13-year-old son
Chinese national feared drowned in Langkawi
Make mosques centres of unity, not exclusive domain of any group, says Pahang Sultan

Others Also Read