North Korea begins dismantling propaganda loudspeakers along border


This handout photo taken on August 4, 2025 and provided by the South Korean Defence Ministry shows South Korean soldiers removing loudspeakers that were set up for propaganda broadcasts near the Demilitarised Zone separating the two Koreas in an undisclosed location in South Korea. - AFP/South Korean Defence Ministry

SEOUL: North Korea has begun dismantling loudspeakers along the border with South Korea that had been used for propaganda broadcasts, according to the General Staff in Seoul on Saturday (Aug 9), as reported by the Yonhap news agency.

The move comes just days after South Korea completely removed its own loudspeaker systems in an effort to ease tensions between the two countries.

It remains unclear, Yonhap reported, whether North Korea will take down all of its loudspeakers. The South Korean military said it would continue to monitor the situation.

South Korea had already halted broadcasts from its loudspeakers in mid-June. President Lee Jae Myung described the step as part of his efforts to reach out to the North. Since taking office, Lee has sought to improve the strained relationship between the two sides.

Under Lee's predecessor, Yoon Suk Yeol, the loudspeakers had been reactivated for the first time in six years, in response to balloons launched from North Korea that carried trash into the South. - dpa

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
North Korea , South Korea , border , loudspeakers

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read