Philippines, Japan hold joint drills after reciprocal access agreement


MANILA: The Philippines and Japan conducted joint maritime exercises in the West Philippine Sea over the weekend, marking one of their first major joint activities after Japan’s Diet ratified early this month the reciprocal access agreement (RAA) between the two countries.

At about the same time, China’s military held joint sea and air patrols in the South China Sea, according to Tian Junli, a spokesperson for the Southern Theatre Command of the People’s Liberation Army-Navy.

The drills with Japan, called “maritime cooperative activity (MCA),” were held on Saturday (June 14) within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and involved the Philippine Navy’s newest frigate BRP Miguel Malvar and guided-missile destroyer JS Takanami (DD-110) of the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF).

“More than a maritime drill, the MCA underscored the operationalisation of the RAA—an accord that lays the groundwork for increased joint training, humanitarian assistance and disaster response initiatives between the AFP and JMSDF,” the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said.

The drills featured antisubmarine warfare exercises, cross-deck exercises, communication check exercise, division tactics and officer of the watch manoeuvres, photo exercises and a finish exercise.

Also joining the drills were the AgustaWestland 159 antisubmarine helicopter, C-208 ISR aircraft of the Philippine Air Force, search and rescue units, and Japan’s SH-60K Seahawk.

A video from the AFP showed the popular Japanese anime “Gundam” playing in the background as sailors from the BRP Miguel Malvar manned the rails while sailing with JS Takanami nearby.

“With the RAA now in effect, our coordination with Japan will only grow stronger and more responsive to the complex demands of our shared security environment,” AFP chief Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr. was quoted as saying.

The West Philippine Sea is Manila’s EEZ in the South China Sea, which China claims almost entirely.

Tokyo and Beijing have also repeatedly faced off around uninhabited Japanese-administered islands that Tokyo calls the Senkaku and Beijing calls the Diaoyu.

Tokyo’s security cooperation with Manila is expected to get a boost in the coming years following Japan’s ratification of the RAA, which the Philippine Senate approved in December last year.

Tian, meanwhile, criticised the Philippines for courting countries outside the region to organise “joint patrols” and “raised security risks” in the region.

“The theatre command forces remain on high alert, resolutely safeguarding China’s national sovereignty and maritime rights,” he said in a statement on Sunday.

He added that “all military activities that seek to stir up trouble in the South China Sea or create flashpoints are fully under control.”

The Philippine Embassy in Beijing did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

The Philippines and the United States conducted joint maritime drills in the South China Sea for a seventh time earlier this month.

Tensions continue to run high between China and the Philippines over territorial disputes in the South China Sea, a conduit for more than US$3 trillion of annual ship-borne commerce. - Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing
Philippine senator calls out China in visit to disputed island

Others Also Read