Death toll in quarry rockfall rises to 18


The search continues: A drone view of search and rescue operations in the aftermath of the rock collapse at a quarry in Cirebon, West Java province. — Reuters

The death toll from a rockfall at a limestone quarry on Indo­nesia’s Java island has risen to 18, with another seven people still missing and feared dead, a milita­ry official said.

Workers and heavy equipment were buried when rocks suddenly fell at the mining site in the city of Cirebon in West Java province on Friday morning. The rockfall also injured at least 12 people.

“Today, we retrieved one more body, which brings the total death toll to 18 people, while seven more people are still missing,” local military chief Mukhammad Yusron said yesterday.

“We suspect the missing victims have alrea­dy died.”

Rescuers have deployed excavators and rescue dogs to search for the remaining victims, he said.

The search operation was challenging and dangerous due to the unstable structures of the rock, Mukhammad added.

“We must pay attention to the rescuers’ safety because there have been more rockfalls during the operation,” he said.

The local company overseeing the mine was operating legally.

Still, safety standards were lacking, according to West Java governor Dedi Mulyadi, who said he had ordered its closure following the accident.

“I have issued an order to my subordinates at the site.

“The company has been shut down permanently,” he said in a statement earlier this week.

Friday’s incident was the second collapse at the quarry, following an incident in February. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing
Philippine senator calls out China in visit to disputed island
Cricket-India skipper Suryakumar backs opener Sharma despite three ducks in T20 World Cup
Washington offers US$200 million to boost the American smartphone industry in Indo-Pacific
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha

Others Also Read