Martial law declaration late last year was "not a coup d’etat", ousted South Korean president Yoon tells court


South Korea's ousted president Yoon Suk Yeol (centre, in vehicle) arrives at the Seoul Central District Court in Seoul on April 14, 2025, to attend his criminal trial. Former South Korean president Yoon Suk Yeol will face his first criminal trial on April 14, for insurrection after his short-lived imposition of martial law in December, which plunged the democratic country into political turmoil. - Photo: Yonhap/ AFP

SEOUL: South Korea's ousted leader Yoon Suk Yeol argued that his brief martial law declaration late last year was "not a coup d’etat" as he appeared in court on Monday (April 14) for the start of a criminal trial over charges that he led an insurrection.

The martial law attempt, which lasted about six hours before Yoon backed down in the face of parliamentary opposition and public protests, plunged the country into months of turmoil and led to the Constitutional Court removing him from the presidency this month for violating constitutional powers.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

A bit late, but India joins the AI race
Beijing orders nationwide fireworks inspection
A nine-figure global fandom
Army forces intercept airport drone attack
Abandoned baby monkey finds comfort in stuffed orang utan
Virus kills over 70 tigers in private park
US to ease advanced tech restrictions, says Hanoi
Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)

Others Also Read