MANILA: The Department of Health (DOH) on Tuesday (April 8) said reports of ‘Narcos: Mexico’ actor Manuel Masalva's (pic) hospitalization in Dubai due to an “aggressive bacterial infection” after a trip to the Philippines should not cause public panic.
According to DOH Spokesperson Assistant Secretary Albert Domingo, the agency first wondered what kind of bacteria the actor contacted as not all bacteria are “aggressive” and can cause illness.
“We are not discounting the fact that the celebrity contracted a disease, and according to his publicist, he got it from the Philippines. But I hope they say what particular bacteria that is and where he got it so we can act on it,” Domingo said in an interview with Radyo 630.
Masalva is in a medically induced coma due to “aggressive bacterial infection.” According to the statement of his manager Jaime Espinosa to the LA Times, he is currently in a critical but stable condition while under treatment at a hospital in Dubai.
The Mexican actor visited the Philippines before he flew and arrived in Dubai last March 18. Two days later, he suffered severe abdominal pain that resulted in his hospitalisation. His friend, fellow actor Mario Moran, however, said Masalva is now in a stable condition but still in coma.
Meanwhile, Domingo also said that DOH Secretary Teodoro Herbosa directed the agency to contact the International Health Regulations (IHR) system of Dubai and Mexico. Domingo said that the IHR system identifies and notifies if there is an outbreak in a certain area, and the countries are mandated to inform one another of their assessment.
“It is up to the countries and of course to the patient on what it is, because sometimes, if a disease is not notifiable, it is not disclosed,” Domingo noted.
“In simple words, what I am saying is for the public to not panic because if you read the news reports, they say that the antibiotics can treat what they found,” Domingo added.
According to his camp, Masalva’s doctor identified the type of bacteria and administered the appropriate antibiotic he needed. The manager also shared that “his respirator was lowered to 80 per cent, which means that his lungs are reacting.”
Domingo further said the DOH also reached out to networks and health units of the actor’s tourist destination for their reports on the incident.
“I would like to assure everyone that we did not get a report of a similar case so far. And in fact, if there is a case, let’s say he swam when he had wounds, or he could get food poisoning from a restaurant,"Domingo added. - Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN
